Stealth crypto

Hi,

First of all - I'm a bit confused about the options. As far as I can
gather, there are
1.Kernel's cryptoloop
2. Kernel's dm-crypt
3. Jari Ruusu's (or documented by him?) cryptoloop

Out of these, 1 is clearly bad (documentation of all three say that it
is). However, dm-crypt's documentation does not mention #3 and #3's
documentation does not mention dm-crypt. So, what's the deal between
these?

Now to my actual problem. I want to crypt my entire hard disks. No,
not every partition of them, but everything, including the MBR (I
intend to boot from USB). This option is not even mentioned in the
documentation of either framework. Obviously I would have initrd-based
system for asking the passphares and setting the decryption. However,
I'd like to automate this process as far as possible - and for this, I
need to make the kernel read the decrypted devices as hard disks (i.e.
look for partition tables, RAID arrays, etc). Any pointers to get
going with this? I have a faint memory of the device mapper supporting
this, but I am unable to find any information about it.

Of course, this does not work if the crypto system still writes
unencrypted headers on the disk. Cryptoloop doesn't seem to be writing
any extra data, but I didn't check out if dm-crypt (with LUKS or not)
does.

Before you ask why - hiding the information that is inside is often
good enough, but it is much better if the disks look as if there was
only random garbage in them. Then no-one can prove that they are
encrypted and that may help avoiding trouble.

-