Re: Loading secure binaries

Zhang Jiang jason-MGI8240 wrote:

Hi, Ian and Gisle,
While I was searching the Internet to solve the similar problem, your email communications popped up (see the attachment below). Just wondering if you guys can provide me more progress or information about loading secure binaries? I also face the same problem that somebody may load and execute malicious code on top of our embedded Linux OS. If you guys can share some experience on the embedded Linux, I really appreciate!

I answered you in private email saying that I did not know about such a system, and outlined how it could be implemented, but it turned out I was wrong, at least for kernel modules. There were even an article in linuxjournal about it. Maybe not very well tested yet, but it has made it into some of the Fedora test kernels at least:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7130
http://sourceforge.net/projects/disec
http://lwn.net/Articles/92617/

This has not to my knowledge made it into the base kernel, and I would guess that it will meet some resistance, since it potentially can be used to prevent people from modify systems they own, DRM-like schemes and similar, but it can also increase the security on some servers. For executables in userspace some of the features of SELinux may solve some of your issues, depending on what you try to
archieve.

- Gisle

-