Cryptoloop hvr issues?

Hi,
   I need to add cryptoloop support to the 2.4.31 kernel. I'm planning to use the hvr patch, since the hvr patch would mean minimal changes to our custom kernel code. But I see that most of the distributions (openwall/debian/gentoo) have chosen the jari patch, and the hvr patch seems to be unmaintained.  Is the hvr patch obsolete or are there any known issues with it?
Really appreciate any help,
NAndan