Re: [OT] Interference by multiple encryption.

I am not an encryption expert but from what I have read multiple
encryptions of data are possible, and there are two ways to look at it.

>From an theory/encryption standpoint there is nothing wrong with
encrypting one thing in another, ie an AES-encrypted zip on a loop-aes'd
drive because the file is recognized as a file by the filesystem and
block driver, (I have AES-encrypted zips on a loop-aes'd drive), so in
that respect it would work.  I've heard that a problem might arise that
if a skilled cryto-attacker looks at it, (s)he can sometimes look at
patterns of one encryption "layer" to infer things about the other
"layer", meaning there could be patterns found on one layer in the
cipher text that make the key of the other layer more predictable, which
makes the overall data structure more vulnerable - but again I am not a
crypto-expert.

>From a practical/implementation standpoint, I know of no product or
program that attempts this.  Putting encrypted files on a loop-aes drive
does not count as "the same thing twice", because they are at different
"system layers" (roughly OSI model).  The best way to secure data is to
make sure the cipher and program you use are well tested by trusted and
competent people.  In general encryption is hard enough to get working,
and if done right, even harder to break - "double-encryption" would
probably only make it harder to get working, and possibly easier to break.

With that said, does anyone know of anything that will do double encryption?

David

-