Re: Re: Re: problem: loop-aes swap partition isn't mounted

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:13:07PM +0200, Max Vozeler wrote:

> I strongly suspect it is udev that prevents the autoload.

a good point i didn't think of before

> When swapon is first run during boot (in S10checkroot.sh), only the
> /dev/loop/0 device node exists. Other loop devices than loop0 swapon
> can't open and hence the normal autoloading mechanism won't work.

ok

> It probably worked with 2.6.11 because recent versions of udev in
> unstable disable themselves when they are running under a kernel <
> 2.6.12, and leave the old /dev in place which has the loop device
> nodes and allows the normal autoloading to work.

absolutely right

> Tobias, does it make a difference if you add loop to /etc/modules?

no. it was one of my first attempts to get it running. didn't help

> It should be possible to explicitly load the loop module that way
> before the second swapon attempt happens in S35mountall.sh.

hm, i will take a look at S35mountall.sh.

> BTW: You can ignore the error message from "Activating swap".
> Modules are only loaded after the first swapon, so this error is
> expected. It used to be silently ignore until Debian initscripts
> recently started using lsb functions in unstable.

OK ;)

max, thanx a lot! it really seems that the whole thing is due to udev and
the start- / mount-scripts. will have to (and can ;) live with that

cheers
tobias
--
[id]			tw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx