Loop-aes problem or bug

Hi all, my first post, and first time with loop-aes, but I may(?) have
found a bug or at least need help with a problem I'm having.

Situation:
loop-aes 3.0d with gentoo 2.6.12.5, (read the loop-aes readme, followed
all directions) and used knoppix to do the actual encrypting commands.
In the build-initrd.sh script, because I have a 2.6 kernel and I'm using
USEPIVOT=1, with AES256 and a rootkey.gpg file, and have my kernel
compiled with all the correct options (ram disk, initrd support, minix,
no cramfs) and am using the correct fstab entry of /dev/loop5 for the
root drive.  The file system on both /boot and / is ext2 and I'm using
udev for device management.

The grub.conf entry is:

title l33t Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel root=100 init=/linuxrc
initrd /initrd.gz

which I know works because I get to the part where I enter the password,
as opposed to getting init= or wrong fs-type errors.
When I enter the correct password I get the following message:

pivot_root() to new root failed.  Older kernels don't have pivot_root().

I have not looked at the code, but does this mean initrd thinks I have
an older kernel, as opposed to 2.6.12.5?  I googled this, but nothing
came up - what to do?  My box is not so l33t now :-(

Please help,
David

-