Harddisk sectors & partitioning

Hi there!

My harddisk has 390,716,865 sectors.
I installed it into the PC and partitioned it as part of the setup of SuSE
Linux 8.2 a while ago. Fine so far. What wonders me is the fact that only
             390,684,734 sectors are used. So 32,131 sectors, which equals
16,451,072 bytes or 15.68 MB, are left free. But for what?
Is there a good reason why this space is left blank? Otherwise, can I erase
these sectors or set up a loop device on it? I have no idea what these
spare-sectors serve for.

Regards,
Peter

-