Re: AW: AW: Hello and DVD-ROM encryption

Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope you are not using the same key file to
encrypt multiple DVDs.
> Re-using same key file for more than one file
system will lead to
> identical
> ciphertexts. Identical ciphertexts leak
information.

I must admit, I didn´t get that. Mkisofs -r dirtree
builds an ISO image which I pipe through aespipe. You
mean I shouldn´t use one keyfile twice for doing
this? But you are not concerned that an attacker may
find the key to the data in the first 8192 bytes?

However. Top on my to-do-list is a short guide on how
to master ISO images for DVDs with loop-aes and
keyfiles not on the DVD. "Perfect deniability"
prohibits storing encrypted data along with
non-encrypted data on same medium. That´s why I´d
rather prefer to remove mbr from harddisk and store
keys + tools on removable media.

My question is how example 3.3. from aespipe.readme
has to be altered to build encrypted DVDs with
keyfiles outside the DVD. The aim is to store larger
amounts of data safely and compatible with the future
but without cleartext on any spot of the medium.

I tend to do this:

3.3. Example 3 - Encrypted DVD-R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Create 65 random encryption keys and encrypt those
keys using gpg. Reading from /dev/random may take
indefinitely long if kernel's random entropy pool is
empty. If that happens, do some other work on some
other console (use keyboard, mouse and disks). Use of
gpg encrypted key file depends on encrypted swap.

head -c 2925 /dev/random | uuencode -m - | head -n 66
| tail -n 65 \
| gpg --symmetric -a >/a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg

Create encrypted ISO9660 DVD-R image that can be
mounted using Linux loop-AES crypto package version
3.0b or later:

mkisofs -r directory-tree | aespipe -e aes128
-K /a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg >>image.iso

This image file can then be mounted under Linux like
this:

mount -t iso9660 image.iso /media/dvd -o
loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128,gpgkey=/a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg

Or, after writing image.iso to DVD-R, like this:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /media/dvd -o
loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128,gpgkey=/a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg

Or, if this line is added to /etc/fstab file:

/dev/dvd /cryptdvd iso9660

defaults,noauto,loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128,gpgkey=/a/usbstick/keyfile.gpg

0 0

What would you say about this? Will that dvd lock-up
again when opening one of its folders containing some
30,000 files in it? Will there be problems with reads
at/after end of disk and such?
Choice of high quality media is also an aspect, I
know. Question is if above modification results in a
well crafted image?
Proposals & critics welcome.

Regards,
Peter