Re: Announce loop-AES-v3.0b file/swap crypto package

jerome etienne <jme@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> good description of the attack. just a little precision, the attacker
> can choose, to a certain extend, the inserted data and so the resulting
> plaintext.
> http://off.net/~jme/loopdev_vul.html sec 2.2

This whole scenario is none of my problems. To start such an attack
prerequesits that attacker knows a partition is encrypted and loop-aes
takes guard of a suse distro. As I said. This scenario is unlikely. You
could also blame loop-aes for not providing protection again a dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=64 .........
But you are creative!
How about following:
A small device that is to be plugged between harddrive and mainboard and
monitors first 1GB of data when PC is started. All data I/O is recorded to
a memory chip. Later attacker should be able to boot the pc by a playback
of this first 1GB.
Or how about pieces of hardware that fit into a keyboard and send all
keystrokes via radiofrequency? I´d say software will never be able to
secure a compromised machine.
So your attack is rather an idea than a danger.

Regards
Peter

--
10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail