SHA1-based C-R for authentication

I've constructed a program that uses SHA1, with a password and a nonce, to
get a challenge-response authentication system.

My question is, will there be any difference in the strength of the
authentication, between the two following scenarios:

1) The password and nonce are 8 bit, 16 character strings of random bytes
from /dev/random

2) The password and nonce are 8 bit, 32 character strings of random hex
digits derived from the same string in #1 above

Anyone have an informed opinion on this?

Thanks!

-