Re: Announce loop-AES-v3.0b file/swap crypto package

Regarding attacks which insert chosen data:

Agreed, loop-AES (and all other block-level-encryption methods I know about)
do not protect against this attack, and were not designed to do so.

It raises an interesting attack:

1. Disk is encrypted

2. Inserted data satisfies watermark of
     (copyrighted material, top-secret plans, whatever)

3. Victim must reveal encryption keys to prove they do not
     have watermarked data.

The idea here is to insert a bit of data anywhere in the encrypted area that
will cause a "hit" for someone scanning for watermarks.

If the attacker inserted a plain-text document into the partition, it would
stand out as plaintext. The attacker can insert an encrypted document, which
will look like it belongs to the victim.

Victim could reveal encryption keys, show that with those keys the
watermarked document is still ciphertext (as the victim's key is not the
same as the attacker's key. If the attacker could insert data with the
victim's key then this attack is not necessary.)

~boyd
Boyd Waters
Socorro, New Mexico

-