Re: encrypting with loop-AES-v3.0a and no gpg-key doesn't give 'multi-key-v3' except for swap

Hi Petersen,

Petersen wrote:
| http://www.spinics.net/lists/crypto/msg02628.html states that loop-aes
| 2.0f can't use multi-key encryption without using gpg-key also.
|
| I use the latest, loop-AES-v3.0a (README of November 27 2004 ), but only
| swap-encryption reports multi-key-v3, losetup -a reports 'AES256' only
| for drives created with
|
|    losetup -e AES256 -itercountk=300 ....
|
| - so no multi-key-v3. Am I sitting on a timebomp (as Jari puts it), or
| does multi-key-v3 only appear with gpg-keys?

The latest loop-aes, will do multi-key if the keys are piped to it via -p0. You
will need to ensure exactly 65 keys in the format generated via the commands in
the loop-AES.readme. See section 2.6.

http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README

| I didn't build (with) gpg because I want to have a change of recreating
| my data in case of loss of gpg-key. Could that be why 'make tests'
| fails? For the same reason I don't use password seed; it is also
| difficult to figure out how to do it, from reading the README.

You can use symmetric gpg support, then no public keys are used to encrypt the
~ stored keys. You could also use openssl and pam_mount, although I have not
done this in a while. http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount/

| Is the security level of my setup (AES256, no gpg, no seed,
| itercountk=300) to weak to bother?

Choose a strong password of known entropy - such as a 10 word diceware
passphrase with some extra tidbit thrown in. Your security is as good as the
passphrase and should deter most adversaries. See diceware.com for details. It
still won't protect from a watermark attack AFAIK.

| Could you explain how the watermark attack work?

Someone better qualified should do this, but here is some reading material.

http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.cryptoloop.php

Cheers!

- ---Venkat.

Venkat Manakkal           Tel:+1-607-546-7300       Fax: 1-607-546-7387
venkat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.rayservers.com/
rayservers@xxxxxxxxxxxx   Computers. Installed Secure. Wholesale Prices.

PGP/GPG Key: https://www.rayservers.com/keys/0x12430522.asc
Get Windows Privacy Tools for free: http://winpt.sf.net/