Re: Problem with root filesystem encryption

Michael Böhm wrote:
> I want to set up my linux box with root filesystem encryption using the gpg
> multi key method with aes256.cipher and this does not work.
>
> I build everything as described in the readme file, encrypted swap works and
> i can make a gpg keyfile and use these keys for a aes256 encrypted
> partition. There are no problems with this so i think my setup is correct. I
> can boot my rescue system and use dd, aespipe and gpg to encrypt my root
> partition, this also works. To do this i have to use my gpg key repository
> and enter my password. So i think my password, the keyfile and gpg should be
> ok. If i try to boot the encrypted system and enter the password when asked
> i get the message "Error: gpg key file decryption failed" I tried this
> several times with different keyfiles/passwords, compiled and set up
> everything again, it does not work. GRMPFT!
>
> What could be wrong?
>
> I use debian sarge, kernel 2.6.9, loop-aes 2.2d, aes-pipe 2.2e, util-linux
> 2.12h, dietlibc 0.27, gnupg 1.2.6.

Are you using a password that has different encodings in UTF-8 and 8859-1?

Are you sure that keyboard key mappings are set the same? If I remember
correctly .de keyboards use transposed locations for Z and Y characters
versus default United States key locations.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-