Re: Fwd: Re: Encrypted root with loop-aes on a server?

Venkat Manakkal wrote:
> I sent this message on the 27th, and qmail logs show that it was sent out OK,
> was there an issue with the list manager? I did not see a copy or find one in

me neither....

> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 05:35 pm, Christian Kujau wrote:
>
>>>what's the point in encrypting the root partition anyway? i know, this
>
> The point is someone at the data center cannot unplug the thing, pop the hard
> drives out and then return them two days later after making a mirror of the
> thing like they did with the Indymedia servers that were stolen from
> rackspace. See http://uk.indymedia.org/ if you have not heard.

yes, i've heard about this issue but i need to read on to get your point.

> At least when you get it back you only have to recreate your boot partition
> from a trusted backup and trust the server again.

yes, one yould just re-image the hd with the trusted backup and it
probably saves install time.

i fail to parse your message here and hence fail to understand why it
should be necessary to encrypt the _operating system_ part of the hd:

> Or let some judicial review
> and due process take place before handing over the keys (if you have a choice

handing over the keys for /usr/lib? sure, i'd hand them out ;-)

> and are not in some gulag as is so common with our _in_justice system these
> days). Also, if only the client had the keys, then it would leave the ISP out
> of the loop.

i doubt the ISP would be asked to make a copy of /sbin for the feds.

> And again, it would be possible to create a server with
> ephemeral keys so that the data and the server is completely lost if powered

how is losing /etc going to help here? we have to set it up all again when
we get back the server. remember, i'm not speaking about *data* parts
here. losing parts of sensitive data (making it unrecoverable with
ephemeral keys could make sense if the worst case happens). i was speaking
about the *operating system* part.

> I have not had time to work out this configuration with ssh yet. I think a
> better solution is to offer remote console access via blade servers for
> example, so that the client can have full control of the entire process
> remotely and be completely responsible for the server at all times. Anyone on
> this list interested in such a dedicated server solution? (In other words can
> I get some 10 interested people so that it becomes a business proposition?)

already offered by many hosters.

thanks,
Christian.
- --