Re: [newbie] overviewing the chaos

Jan Lühr wrote:
> 1st. Encrypting tar-archives (backups). I'm currently using gpg (with twofish)
> to do that task. Is multiple-key encryption also necessary there?

No.

> Due to the
> structure, known plaintext-attacks are possible. And what about avi-files?
> They have a block-structure as well....  If so, how should I use aes-pipe in
> order to do so?

gpg implements good strong crypto. If you are happy with it, why change it?

> 2nd.
> Is there a max amount of data (limit) which can be encrypted safely?

64 bit block size ciphers risk accidentally outputting identical ciphertexts
with relatively small amounts of data, but 128 bit block size ciphers don't
have that problem.

Twofish has 128 bit block size, so you don't need to worry about that.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-