Re: [newbie] overviewing the chaos

> Jan Lühr <jluehr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Due to google, I found how to set up every single utility, but I haven't found
> > any site comparing theses approaches, analysing 'em (from a scientific point
> > of view) and give some advice for newbies.
>
> just use loop-aes, and forget about mainline cryptoloop and dm-crypt.
>
> Why Mainline Cryptoloop Should Not Be Used
> http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.cryptoloop.php
>
> still needs an update, but you should be able to get the picture ;)

http://clemens.endorphin.org/LinuxHDEncSettings

The mainline crypto (dm-crypt only--cryptoloop will be depreciated very
soon) is _starting_ to address some of the issues Jari Ruusu has been
mentioning.  At this point, if you want to make sure you are relatively
secure, use loop-AES in multi-key mode.

(As for speed, don't think about it. The more secure modes of loop-AES
and mainline crypto both have some performance penalties over their less
secure modes*, even though both have an assembly-optimized version of
AES on x86 architectures available to all modes.)

*E.g. loop-AES multi-key versus single-key mode, and dm-crypt (mainline
crypto ) ESSIV and Plumb IV hashing (both are relatively new to
mainline) versus Plain IV hashing.

> Being able to gain access to my data with OpenBSD,
Solaris or MacOS would also be nice.

Using GnuPG to encrypt individual files seems to be the most
cross-platform solution for portable media (as it even works on Windows
with no problems).  For x86-platform boxes, Knoppix CD's usually have
current implementations of loop-AES (and, months ago, there was talk of
including dm-crypt).