Re: [newbie] overviewing the chaos

Greetings,...

Am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2004 16:35 schrieb markus reichelt:
> Jan LÃhr <jluehr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Due to google, I found how to set up every single utility, but I haven't
> > found any site comparing theses approaches, analysing 'em (from a
> > scientific point of view) and give some advice for newbies.
>
> just use loop-aes, and forget about mainline cryptoloop and dm-crypt.
>
> Why Mainline Cryptoloop Should Not Be Used
> http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.cryptoloop.php

> still needs an update, but you should be able to get the picture ;)

Ok, this sounds reasonable.

> > On the other hand I want to use some mountable encryption for portable
> > storage devices as well. For instance I have a USB-Stick /DVD-RAM /-RW
> > with some enclosed data I want to access on different systems.  (All
> > systems are considered to be trusted).  The data should be able to be
> > accessed form userland as well as kernelland based tools. I want to be
> > able to mount it on some systems - on other systems userland access is
> > necessary because I cannot use the kernel I want. Being able to gain
> > access to my data with OpenBSD, Solaris or MacOS would also be nice.
>
> don't know about these OSes, but in order to work loop-aes requires that
> kernel loopback support is turned off. with that being so, loop-aes is
> ideal for such cases.

Well, ok.
The URL is about loop-aes <-> vs. mainline kernel comcept. What about ppdd vs
loop-aes?
Correct me, if wrong, but multiple keys are not necessary in non-blockwise
modes?
If you think of bigger tar archives (1,5 GB - 4GB), are multiple-keys
encryption also necessary there?
Furthermore: If you have n keys. Is there an max amount ma(n) of data, which
can be considered to be save? (What is ma(n))?

Well, furthermore, too, what exactly is the relationship between loop-aes and
aespipe? Can I safely encrypt / decrypt everthing with aespipe in userland I
want to use / used with aes-loop or are there any restrictions?

Keep smiling
yanosz

-