Determining algorithm used

I have an old encrypted file with a .cpt extension.  I created this file using an old version of SuSE if memory serves.  I am trying to figure out how to figure out what utility/algorithm was used to create this file so I can take some stabs at decrypting it.  The file in question was a tar.gz file that was encrypted using some console based encryption program (with a command like "encrypt filename.ext" which produces "filename.ext.cpt"), which may help determine this. Is there maybe a utility that would allow me to put in a password and have it try to decrypt using all known algorithms and perhaps show the first few lines from the decrypted file (so I can determine if one looks like a gz file - although I haven't looked to see if it would have a recognizable header)?

I'm just trying to figure out how to proceed at this point, of if I can forget getting the data contained in this file back.

-Jason Pfingstmann