Re: make-kpkg and kernel-name

Am Freitag, 3. September 2004 15:22 schrieb Christian Kujau:
> Thomas Braun wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using loop-aes  for quite a while now and have encounterd a small
> > misfeature (I wouldn't call it a bug).
> > My box is running under debian woody. AfterI I build a new kernel
> (2.4.27)
> > with, for example, "make-kpkg --append-to-version \-test kernel_image"
> and
> make-kpkg is a debian feature....

Yeah of course, see my mail as a feature request :-)
> > installing it I have the directory /lib/modules/2.4.27-test/.
> > After rebooting and selecting the nee kernel in grub, I change now to my
> > loop-aes directory and execute make, /usr/src/linux points to the running
> > kernel, he compiles the new loop.o modul but moves it
> > to  /lib/modules/2.4.27/block/  instead of the right
> > place /lib/modules/2.4.27-test/block/ .
>
> ...and as such, it's basically make+some_debian_magic. but the Makefile
> from loop-aes (or some other src) does not know about the "magic" part.
> i assume it will only look into /usr/src/linux/Makefile and finds 2.4.27
>  as version number.

After compiling an kernel with make-kpkg  the file include/linux/version.h has
the following content:
#define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.27-wgserver1"
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132123
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

In a plain vanilla kernel dir after executing "make dep" the file has
#define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.27"
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132123
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

So perhaps it would be better to get the kernel version from this file instead
of the Makefile ?!

> > The Makefile also complains about the
> > wrong version ("WARNING - THIS MODULE WILL NOT WORK WITH CURRENTLY
>
> RUNNING
>
> > KERNEL") but infact I'm running the right kernel.
>
> you're running 2.4.27-test, and the "-test" was added to the kernel, not
> to /usr/src/linux/Makefile, right? not? correct me, if i'm wrong.
>
> > Of course I only have to move the module to the right place, but I
>
> think it's
>
> > quite annyoing.
>
> you could edit /usr/src/linux/Makefile, or let make-kpkg edit this file
> perhaps?

OK the first is the shortes hack, but uncomfortable. And AFAIK make-kpkg
doesn't edit the Makefile.
See also
http://www.svce.ac.in/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man1/make-kpkg.1.gz
for an explanation of --append-to-version.

Regards,
Thomas Braun

-