Re: Help trying to setup an encypted filesystem.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:21:43PM -0500, Lohan Knight wrote:
> Is there supposed to be a util-linux patch file for crypto stuff for
> util-linux verison 2.12a?  If so,  where?

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

$ egrep 'cryptoloop|passphrase' util-linux-2.12a/HISTORY
* losetup: cryptoloop support
* losetup: -p option specifies fd for passphrase
* mount: -p option specifies fd for passphrase

cryptoloop support was added in 2.12.

> I'm not sure how you accomplished that.  Because whenever I use
> "make xconfig" and select "cryptoloop" from the menu,  it automatically
> turns off all of the CryptoAPI stuff.  I mean,  I go back to the
> CryptoAPI stuff,  and it's all grayed out.  I turn off the cryptoloop
> item in the Block Devices menu,  and then go back to the CryptoAPI
> section,  and all of the CryptoAPI stuff is back and no longer
> grayed out.  This tells me that someone doesn't want you to use
> both.  Why?  Who knows.  But I could always try manually
> including both in the config file and see what happens.

I've never used 'xconfig' and it works well when just using 'config'.

> Ah.  So if I use CryptoAPI instead of loop-aes,  then all of the
> util-linux stuff should work without any patches?

Yes, if you use 2.12 or later.

> But if I use
> loop-aes,  then I need to patch util-linux?   Does that sound
> right?

As Jari wrote yesterday, you can use the normal util-linux for loop-aes
as well, but functionality will be lost.

> So if that is so,  then my problem seems to be that I can't
> select in "make xconfig" the cryptoloop item and the
> CryptoAPI items at the same time.  No patching of util-linux
> would be necessary it sounds like.  I just need to manually
> enter the config options to turn on cryptoloop and CryptoAPI
> at the same time.  That should get me up and running.

Hopefully :)

/Thomas
--
== thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
== Encrypted e-mails preferred | GPG KeyID: 114AA85C