Re: Linux 2.6 crypto API and HW accelerators

Title: Re: Linux 2.6 crypto API and HW accelerators

On Tue, 4 May 2004, James Morris wrote:

>>On Tue, 4 May 2004, Eugene Surovegin wrote:
>>
>> In short, my experience showed that without significant changes in current
>> implementation, e.g. adding async crypto, adding hardware crypto is worth only
>> for relatively slow CPUs, e.g. less than 1Ghz, and even with slow processor
>> overhead can be so big, that short packets are better processed by software
>> path.
>
>Yes, have a look at the OpenBSD paper at
>http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ocf.pdf
>
>Their results show marked performance improvements for larger packets
>(even though the packets are making multiple trips across the PCI bus),
>and they suggest batching smaller packets.
>

>- James
>--
>James Morris
><jmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>

The FreeBSD version of the OCF is a bit more interesting:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/bsdcon03/tech/leffler_crypto/leffler_crpto_html/

/dave_koplos

This email message (including attachments) contains Company Proprietary and/or Confidential Information and is intended only for the addressee.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.