Re: proposed solution to known plain text vulnerability

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:14:29AM +0000, N. E. Johnson wrote:
> Here is a proposed solution to known plain text vulnerability.
>
> Create and store a segment of random data equal in size to the data being
> encrypted.
>
> XOR the user data with stored random data.
>
> Encrypt both the random segment and the user data with conventional block
> cipher methods.
>
> Since the user data was XORed with randomness, reminiscent of OTP. This
> would prevent usage of a precomputed dictionary against known plain text.
>
> Obviously, users of this solution double their storage requirements.

Could you not use a smaller random data segment multile times?

What about encrypting twice?

--
Pav

http://www.againsttcpa.com/  ,.,
                           ,``:'',
                           {o ! o}
Gain your human right of   ] -+- [  My GPG/PGP key is now available at
privacy: use cryptography!  \ ! /   x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371.
                             `-'
`shell$ gpg --keyserver x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371 --recv-key 164C028F`