which blocksize?

I read a few articles about encrypting a directory with Linux and found
different information, which blocksize to use. So I would like to know what does
the blocksize depend on? Is the size of the directory, the filesystem in the
directory, the harddisk or the filesystem where the container-file is located
in important?

Thank you for your help! Markus

-