Re: Questions about loop-aes and the implementation of encryptedfilesystems

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 19:37, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> > ..but I didn't really understand if this means that it is "recommended"
> > or safe to use an encrypted version of software suspend now, or if this
> > is still hazardous.  I saw some notes of scepticism among linux kernel
> > developers.
> Here compatible means that unencrypted loop devices do not livelock during
> suspend to disk. If there are encrypted loops active when suspending to
> disk, encryption keys will get written to disk when kernel RAM is saved to
> suspend partition, therefore completely voiding security of those keys.

Jari,

I forgot to ask for your comments on the approach on this site I found
on Google: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.brisset/initrd-swsusp/ I guess
it's a pretty clear signal in the opposite direction if the Linux kernel
developers are against it, but as suspend obviously could be a useful
feature (making an encrypted system equal in use to a regular one), I'm
wondering if you think it could be done like this, or know of other
projects that will get us there in time?

--lars

-