password hashing?

hi,
I have an encrypted file system with kernel 2.4.20, I'm trying to open it
with 2.6.1 and util-linux 2.12,

after digging in some mailing lists I noticed you removed the password
hash functionality in losetup, so now I need to do:

hashprogram | losetup -e serpent-128 -p 0 /dev/loop0 myfile

now my question is: which program does the same hashing as losetup did and
where to get it?

is there some thing as a converting from previous to the new util-linux
howto?

thanks

-