Re: Burning Encrypted DVDs

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:43:35AM +0000, Anonymous Sender wrote:
> I have had a lot of success using the dvd+rw-tools to burn DVDs.
> What I would like to ask is if there is a way to burn encrypted DVDs?
> I am looking for a way to do it so I do not have to pipe an entire
> image through GnuPG. I think there may be a way to do it with the
> built in crypto in the 2.6 Kernel but I have not tried that yet. Can
> someone explain 1) how to do it and 2) Is there a way to make a
> backup key so that If I burn the Encrypted DVD on one computer I can
> somehow move the Key to another computer later on and still access
> the encrypted content later if I want? Thank you

The one way I did it is as follows:

1. Create a file to hold your filesystem
2. losetup it as a loopback device using encryption, I used loop-AES
3. create a filesystem and put the data on that filesystem
4. losetup -d to disconnect the loop and burn this file as an iso image
	growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=filesystem-file

This way you have it and all you have to do is:
losetup /dev/loopX /dev/dvd ....
with the rest of the crypto options you used to create it. Then just
mount loopX and you are all set.

--
Nasko Oskov
"A hacker does for love what others would not do for money."