Re: packet-tracking vulnerabilities (was Re: Dutch Government...)

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 01:25:08PM -0400, Henry Spencer wrote:
> The nice thing about the Silicon Defense technique (assuming I've
> understood it correctly -- I haven't yet examined their code) is that it
> actually eliminates the signal path completely, by fitting the real
> traffic into the dummy traffic.  At first glance, I don't think there's
> any reasonable general-purpose way for the network layer to do that.

You mentioned the padding used by IPSEC in another message, and this is
probably a help.  However, perhaps specifying internally that packets
should only go out at specific intervals which are adjusted for volume
would be plausible?  I'm talking very low delays here; on the level of
a few milliseconds, but enough to take timing resolution out of the
equation in some cases.

If we haven't seen a packet to be encrypted in one second, holding it
until the next 10ms mark is fine.  If we've seen a packet in the last
second but not in the last 100ms, send the packet out on the next 2ms
marker, etc.

> Given that the only really touchy area is passwords, which are a tiny
> fraction of all network traffic, it seems reasonable to seek long-term
> solutions at or near the application layer, where it's easier to recognize
> the situations needing special attention.  In particular, it's really dumb
> to have passwords going across a character at a time, when there is no
> character-by-character interaction involved.

Unfortunately, this isn't just a change to 'su' or some such interactive
application, but to the terminal application being used.  If I'm 'ssh'ing
into a remote machine on which I run 'su', ssh doesn't 'know' that that
application doesn't need my keystrokes until the newline.  If there were
some terminal emulation way of communicating "line at a time" mode, with
echo on or off for input, it would help.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.