Re: packet-tracking vulnerabilities (was Re: Dutch Government...)

I wrote:
> > Incidentally, do these attacks apply to traffic analysis of IPSEC
> > connections using something like FreeS/WAN?
>
> Yes.  It's harder if there is other traffic using the same IPsec
> connection, but there might not be.

Oops, one thing I forgot to mention:  it's also a bit harder because IPsec
always pads the packet out to the block size of the encryption algorithm,
even if no extra padding is added, and the information about *how much*
padding is present is hidden inside the encryption.  So even without extra
padding, packet sizes are known only modulo 8 (all currently-common
ciphers use 8-byte blocks), which will make it rather harder to do things
like identifying the "su" command by packet size.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx