encrypting the whole disk / all the data

Simple question: How do I guarantee that not a single bit of my
essential data is written non-crypted on my Linux (laptop-)box ?

Swap is trivial - it just has to be encrypted :) and Jari has provided
good-looking boot-scripts for that. Is loop-AES currently the only one
managing swap ?

Then root-filesystem.

If I want simply the root-filesystem encrypted, what are my options ?

Another solution that comes into my mind is mounting root etc. read-only. The
problem arises with logging, i.e. /var. If I need it encrypted it seems to
me that problem is quite analog to encrypting the whole root-filesystem.
On the other hand I could use RAM-disk to avoid boot-time problems but
then I have to use RAM-disk all the way, am I right ?

For performance reasons I would prefer the read-only-like solutions.

--
Antti Koskimaki