Re: Reversing the MDK Kernel patches

Le Mercredi 3 Octobre 2001 22:41, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R a écrit :

> 	How do I reverse the kernel patches (RPMs) in what order and with what
> options, if I am interested in returning to a stock kernel for Mandrake
> 8.1?

Normally, if you have followed the instructions for installation, you still
have your standard kernel installed, and can just select it from LILO, and
boot it anytime, and even define it as default in your lilo.conf file if you
wish.

Now, if you want to uninstall everything back to its original state, I would
suggest:

1) Uninstall the cryptoapi package using "rpm -e <package_name>"

2) Check with "rpm -qa | grep -i kernel" which kernel elements you have
installed on your system, uninstall all the "kernel-something-crypto"
packages using "rpm -e <package_name> [...]"

3) Check the symlinks in /boot so they aren't broken and point to the correct
vmlinuz, System.map, etc.

4) Check lilo.conf, edit it, and re-run lilo. CHECK THAT EVERYTHING WENT OK
for lilo reinstallation.

5) Reinstall the kernel-headers package from Mandrake, and optionally
reinstall other packages you may want (kernel-source, kernel-doc,
kernel-pcmcia...)

6) You may want to "downgrade" your mount and losetup packages, possibly by
using "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage losetup<version_to_reinstall>
mount<version_to_reinstall>"

You should be done by then.

Some notes: The only tricky part, as usual, is the replacement of the kernel.
Do *NOT* reboot until you are sure that you have a usable kernel installed
and that lilo.conf has been set accordingly, and "lilo" has been re-ran.

You don't really *need* to downgrade kernel, losetup and mount. If you just
want to get rid of the cryptoapi, you can just uninstall the cryptoapi RPM.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

--
michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx