Re: cryptoapi and swap

On 20 September 2001, Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you know how long it takes /dev/random to create 40Mbytes of
> entropy?? You don't want to wait a few days to boot, won't you?
> Even /dev/urandom will take up to a few minutes for 40M. AND: It will
> deplete your entropy pool! You don't want that.

If you want to write pseudo-random data fast you may use one program
thread to create the random data with a PRNG and another thread which
writes the random data to disk at full speed. Have a look at
http://hungrycats.org/~zblaxell/projects/randstream/randstream.html

As for encrypting the swap, I choosed not to use any swap at all.
I have just bought more memory since it is so cheap.

--
								Regards,
								Emil