Re: RFC: increased interest for cryptographic software?

Maybe just increasingly concerned that our right-wing politicians are
going to attempt to pass laws restricting crypto further and make it
easier to intercept and read/listen to electronic communications.  In
fact US senators have already proposed requiring backdoors in crypto for
law enforcement (senator from NH) as well as allowing for interception
of net traffic without warrant (Senator Feinstein as one of the
authors).

I'd strongly recommend US citizens write their representatives and
express their desire that our elected officials stop, think and don't
respond to this week's events in a knee-jerk fashion.  As the DMCA has
shown, its very difficult to overturn bad legislation once it has
passed.

Its amazing how fast some people will lay aside civil liberties in order
to gain some "perceived" security.  The short-sightedness of our (US)
politicians and the general US public never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry, hope this isn't even further off-topic though it is important
that we try to strike down any pending anti-crypto legislation before it
gains momentum.

Cheers,
Keith

--
Keith Clayton

"If you don't trust me with your source code,
            why should I trust you with my computer?"

GPG key: http://home.pacbell.net/clay-ton/keith_public_key.html
         http://www.keyserver.net

GPG fingerprint: 33FF 1D80 4562 1600 4BAB  5018 BCB7 635C B0CC 99EE