Re: announce; monolithic versions of the cryptoapi branch!

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>      Ahh, kgcc fixes the blowfish problem -- great! Although compiling with
> kgcc died several times with "fatal errors" due to a problem with the new
> 3.01 cpp, it seemed to work out with just restarting "make bzImage".  Hmm, I
> was using kgcc before, because RedHat's 7.0 gcc was so broken, but thought
> gcc 3.01 would fix things, guess not. I also notice that the kgcc kernel is a
> bit smaller - 1132870 vs 1173975.

On redhat 7.1 systems it's advisable to use either the kgcc (egcs-2.91.66)
or update the gcc package (2.96) to the latest errata update rpm
(as of now gcc-2.96-85)...

btw, lazy as I am, I have taken the gcc-3.01 RPMs available from the
roswell redhat beta, installs cleanly without interfering with the other
compiler versions on your system... (I just had to recompile the binutils
src.rpm)...

see also the NOTE contained in the XFS linux-kernel toplevel Makefile:

CC              = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
#===== NOTE =====
#  egcs-2.91.66 is the recommended compiler version for building XFS.
#  Most of the XFS developers are using that particular version for
#  development, testing, and performance analysis work, and it will
#  generate a functional XFS kernel (some versions of gcc will not) -
#  uncomment the following line to force that gcc version to be used:
#CC             = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc -V egcs-2.91.66
#  On early versions of RedHat 7.x, kgcc is the recommended compiler
#  for building the kernel (kgcc is the same as egcs-2.91.66) - if
#  you use such a distribution and wish to use kgcc, uncomment this:
#CC             = $(CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc
#  The default gcc with RedHat 7.1 (gcc-2.96-81) also appears to
#  generate good code, earlier versions of 2.96 are however an
#  unknown quantity and not recommended.
CPP             = $(CC) -E

Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@xxxxxxxxxx       /    Finger hvr@xxxxxxx for GnuPG Public Key
GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 7BB9 2D6C D485 CE64 4748  5F65 4981 E064 883F 4142