RE: Using Crypto under LM8+2.4.6

Mr. Harris, Mr. Chan, et al.:

	I must question if either of you actually even read what I posted, because
your response absolutely makes no sense relative to the commentary I
scripted.

I would request you re-read my posting below, particularly, the section
which says, "dummy crypto modules were supplied (that did nothing with the
clear text, basically passing back exactly what it receives), then all that
would be necessary is to replace the bogus modules with real modules to gain
crypto abilities."

	I would have thought that, you would understand this to mean that if you
ship Linux to a target country, and it had an AES-128 module compiled into
the kernel which in fact did not perform any encryption service but just
returned the clear text it was passed absent any modification to it, how
would this be illegal in countries which disallow the importation or
exportation of such technologies? If then a target user was in a country
which did allow the importation of such technologies, then he could replace
the dummy modules with a real encryption module which passes back cipher
text not clear text.

	In other words (at least in the USA), you can call a piece of software an
encryption software, but if in fact it does NOT encryption the code it is
supposed to, you did not export or import encryption code. One of the
predicating factors is that it must in fact actually achieve the goal of
encrypting the clear text and not just return the clear text unmodified or
the Federal Government can charge you no violation of any criminal act.

	Why do all that? To insure an integration of a crypto API into the standard
kernel distribution, which would not force all this modification to take
place. As well, then a person would need only replace "dummy" encryption
modules with real encryption modules, if allow by local legislation to do
so.

	Export laws do not prevent the API from being inclusive to Linux, they
prevent the actually encryption code from being in Linux, period.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Thursday, July 12, 2001 11:11 AM