Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, July 09, 2001 4:35 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Amon [mailto:amon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dale Amon
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 5:41 AM
To: IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R
Cc: linux-crypto@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using Crypto under LM8+2.4.6

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 05:35:00PM -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
>       We have to patch "mount" and "unmount", why? Why not place the code
for
> doing the cryptographic work permanently into those programs, and supply
> (with the "non International Kernel") dummy encryption modules which
simply
> return the text they were passed, thus doing no work. Then in order to add
> cryptographic ability to a particular release, all that would be necessary
> was to replace the dummy modules with real working ones?

This has been done in the debian sid distribution. I worked
with the fellow doing the util-linux package to get the LFS
fix into the mainstream: he had already mainstreamed the
crypto patches.

I do not know if this is in the woody dist yet or not.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland