RE: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

Peter:

	I do not know what the other people on this mailing list believe, but it
seems that you are looking for some level of validation in using the
shortcuts you insist on implementing. Now I for one, do not care if you
employ the methodologies you speak of (using your brain to generate random
characters), because I do not believe that I care if your data is safe,
since its yours and not mine. However, in terms of facts, it is clear that
the brain is not a valid random character generator as juxtaposed against
/dev/random or other devices; no matter what you argue or think, that is
demonstrated by theological, statistical, and physics theory depending whom
you ask.

	The fact that you think your thoughts are random does not make them random.
As I explained earlier, if you take the Wall Street Journal use the 3 verb
from the first article in the first column everyday, that word will appear
random, but once we see the word is taken from as an article (imposing a
segment of order in and of itself), then the word is not random. So to are
our thoughts, and individual thought may appear random from day to day, or
hour to hour, but the overall morality and rules by which we live, supersede
that randomness and apply order to it (i.e. you live by certain rules, like
never stealing, raping, pillaging, or drinking liquid you know to be
radioactive).

	Now since your data is your data, you may protect it (or not as the case
may be) in anyway you choose, and our validation of your methods is not
required for you to do so. Matter of fact I am giving you my permission to
use your own methods of generating random characters with your brain, if it
makes you feel any better. Yet, I do think that if you feel you are going to
provide some sort of argument for the brain being a random character
generator of any validity beyond those known to be higher level random
character generators, you are stuck presenting factual based evidence to
outweigh the already immense level of statistical data evidencing the
contrary to your belief. You have not yet to date presented any such
evidentiary material to contradict the position supported by scientists,
theologians, and physicists worldwide.

	Presuming for a moment that you desire to be more of an "appliance
operator" than "technical operator" when it comes to crypto, that is fine.
But, crypto has (and most likely always will be) more of a "roll your own"
sort of issue. There is no right or wrong way to choose a pass phrase, only
a more secure or less secure method. Your methods tend to lean in the
direction of being less secure, which as I have stated is fine if that meets
your own requirements. But, if you want the warm and fuzzy of knowing you
have created a crypto position with respect to your data which is very
strong, you are misleading yourself if you believe what you are about to do
is secure in a strong manner.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Sunday, July 08, 2001 4:27 PM