Re: Tinkering....

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Chris Kuklewicz wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Midstream...as I work on util-linux....
>
> 1 fish, 2 fish, FISH2, TWOFISH, DUMMY ?
>
> #define CIPHER_RIJNDAEL 16
> #define CIPHER_AES      18
>
> And then from linux/loop.h, 9 is DUMMY and 18 (AES) is not listed:
>
> #define LO_CRYPT_RIJNDAEL 16
>
> DUMMY does not look appetizing, but the module name is twofish.o, not
> fish2.o

I have no idea why Rijndael and AES is assigned different numbers, since
Rijndael simply is the winner algorithm of the AES competition. AES should
therefore be an alias of Rijndael, not an independent cipher. The
insertion of an independent number for AES is a mistake IMHO.

> Currently lomount.c uses LO_CRYPT_FISH2, but that fails, so perhaps I
> will try DUMMY...

Try to make an alias for Rijndeal instead:

in cipher.h:

#define CIPHER_RIJNDAEL 16
#define CIPHER_AES      CIPHER_RIJNDAEL

and in loop.h:

#define LO_CRYPT_RIJNDAEL 16
#define LO_CRYPT_AES      LO_CRYPT_RIJNDAEL

--
Gisle Sælensminde ( gisle@xxxxxxxxx )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)