Re: Almost working...

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Marc Mutz wrote:

> Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
> >
> > Okay...so I missed some documentation.  Documentation/crypto/faq.txt
> > helped get blowfish working.  And I found the error doucmented in the
> > last chapter (the FAQ) of the howto at EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net.
> >
> > So the revised question is:
> >
> > Out of curiousity, what non trivial work needs to be done to losetup
> > to add a cipher (e.g. twofish or aes)?
> >
> <snip>
>
> There is a list of known ciphers in lomount.c. You have to do the
> obvious additions (just copy one of the existing lines and modify.
> Keylength for Twofish is 128 or 256 bits, not sure if losetup works with
> the latter.

Each cipher has a predefined keylength. For all the aes candidates
128 bits is chosen, even all of them support at least 192 and 256
bits. The current hash scheme supports up to 320 bits of key bits
(two ripmd hashes). However, so much entropy is almost certainly
not found in a passphrase, so using more than 128 bits keys will not
add security. It must also be added that 128 bits is more than
good enough today. 90 bits is the recomended minimum key length.

--
Gisle Sælensminde ( gisle@xxxxxxxxx )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)