Re: linux-ipsec: freeswan .... using OpenSSL ?

Sandy Harris wrote:

<snip>
> Do the encrypting file systems require anything besides a good block cipher?

No.

> So what does it take to get a library into the kernel that does at least:
>
>         3DES
>         Rijndael
>         SHA hash (initialise with fixed constants)

We have all that already in kerneli.

>         SHA HMAC (initialise with secret key material)

probably trivial to add.

>         public key primitives (probably signature only)

I thought that Pk encryption was only used for key exchange. That could
happily live in userspace. However, I now wonder how authentication is
done? Is is done via symmetric enciphering of the hash value or using
PK? If it's the latter, does all and every IPv6 packet require a PK run?
Good bye performance.

I should look at the RFC's But it's so _much_ stuff. There is shorter
treatment by TimeStep and I'll look at it _now_.
OK, apparently AH consists of a MAC, and that should be SHA HMAC, no? So
where is the need for PK in IPSec other than probably for key exchange?

> What else is necessary or desirable? Would the maintainers of the various
> packages use such a library?

Apparently not. The kerneli patch is out there since 1998 and the only
user of this is still loopback crypto. I have not heard of a reason for
why it is not used, except maybe from the FreeS/WAN people: It's not
free of US hands.

Hmm, maybe it is? Most cipher implementations are taken from Brian
Gladman, according to his homepage location he's a UK citizen. Alex,
Gisle and myself from Norway (?) and Germany, resp.

Sorry for the train of toughts running over you all...

marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@xxxxxxxx>     http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)