Re: Hardware crypto

Peter van Hove wrote:

> i was wndering if there already is support for crypto cards in the kernel and if so
> can they be used to accelerate IPsec encryption.

This question has come up a number of times on FreeS/WAN's linux-ipsec@xxxxxxxxx
list, including being asked by several hardware vendors. So far the answer has
been that FreeS/WAN wasn't designed for that, but the kernel parts are in the
process of re-design for other reasons and we'll try to provide a clean interface
to hardware in the new design. It is not one of the top considerations, though.

Meanwhile, someone at chip/board vendor Chrysalis (www.chrysalis-its.com)
is working on kernel patches to support their stuff, with the co-operation of the
FreeS/WAN kernel hacker. The intention is to define an interface generic enough
that other hardware could use it as well.

For details, search that list's archive:

http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/linux-ipsec/