share AES encrypted file/disk between 2.4.21 and 2.6 ?

Hi,

Apparently encrypted disks created with 2.4.21 are not readable by 2.6 and
visa-versa. I'm using a patched 2.4.21 kernel with util-linux 2.11n (the
rpms from freshmeat) and a 2.6.0-test2 with util-linux 2.12pre.

Creating and reading an aes encrypted system (dd, losetup, mount) works
fine with both systems, but it is not possible to read an encrypted file
with an other system than the system it was created with. losetup works
fine (it accepts a file of an other system), but mount doesn't work with
"wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock....." is if the password would
be wrong.

Is this in principle not working? Or I'm I doing something wrong?
One thing is strange: losetup from 2.11n has the -k parameter, 2.12 doesnt
have it and also doesn't ask so I don't know what key strength it is
using.

thanks
ueli

-