2.5.69 Encrypted Root?

More beneficial would be to comment on
util-linux-2.11z-crypto-v2.diff.bz2 patch working/not-working with kernel
2.5.x cryptoloop. It was the only part I didn't test, because I didn't know
where working cryptoloop sources for 2.5.x kernels were, or if such code
existed at all.

Jaari:

Thanks for your excellent work on loop-AES, which has generated a lot of interest and excitement among the users of my favorite Linux distribution (Gentoo). http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=31363

I have been using the kerneli CryptoAPI on 2.4.19-20 kernels for about 18 months, and now want to move to 2.5

I cannot get util-linux-2.11z (patched with crypto-v2.diff) to work with the CryptoAPI; I get "invalid ioctl" errors. (I am sorry this is not more specific -- I will get my system working again in a few hours and can reproduce the errors.)

So I thought that I would try the loop-AES versions of loop and loop_twofish.

I was encouraged by recent posts to this list, in which you indicate that loop-AES and util-linux should work with 2.5.69:
http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/2003-05/msg00097.html

But I cannot get the build-initrd.sh script to work as expected.

I am able to use a the patches to create the kernel modules, and a patched losetup, and I am able to get things working from a command line. The initrd seems to load, but boots my unencrypted partition instead.

This may be an interaction with GRUB and devfs.

I feel that I should be able to debug this by looking more carefully at the build-initrd.sh script, and I will continue to do so.

Is anyone else using loop-AES to enable an encrypted root partition on the 2.5.69 development kernel?

Thanks!

-- boyd
Boyd Waters
National Radio Astronomy Observatory