Re: CryptoAPI password and network usage

On Friday 28 Feb 2003 08:14, Bill Klintoe wrote:
> 1) Where is the password stored that you type in upon
> running losetup?

The password isn't actually stored anywhere. It (or rather a hash of it which
is kept in RAM while the loop device is in use) is just used to encrypt and
decrypt the data in the file. If the wrong password is entered, no error will
occur and data will still be returned by the loop device, but it'll be
meaningless.

> 2) The reason I ask is that I would like to use an
> encrypted filesystem across the network. If i set
> everything up on MACHINE1, how would I connect to it
> across the network? Create a traditional samba mount
> so that my local MACHINE2 can access the encrypted
> file/system "cryptofile" and then setup another
> loopback on the local MACHINE2?

I think you'd have to share the mounted crypto-filesystem, rather than the
cryptofile containing it. Only one client would be able to use the cryptofile
at a time if you shared the file and tried to set up loop devices on each
client. Of course, if you were only going to access the fs on one client at a
time, you could probably set up a loop device over the network. I'm not sure
how well it works, though. The last time I tried using a loop over NFS, it
panicked my system (but that was quite a while ago).

> 3) I guess what I'm wondering is what will happen with
> the passwords. What happens if I take the giant file
> that I use to store all the encrypted materials,
> "cryptofile" and move it to another MACHINE3 and try
> to use it?

You should have no problem using it on any machine with the appropriate crypto
code installed.

Stephen
-