Kernel panic: No init found

Hi, the kernel is kernel.org 2.4.19 on redhat 8.0 on a K7.

Here's the interesting part...
# Character devices
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256

i've attached the whole config zipped, bit of a flood to post it all here :)

I'm not sure if this is totally irrilavant, but i just noticed that even as root i'm denied executing anything on my seperate /mnt/crypt, i've mounted it with

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/crypt ext2 defaults,noauto,users,loop=/dev/loop1,encryption=AES256 0 0

I was aware you can pass a no-exe option, however pretty sure its not default.

Thanks for any help,
Brad.

Brad Brad wrote:
Hi, i cannot get root encryption booting, could someone pls give me a
pointer?  The loops works, i can view it manually, when booting i get...
> Freeing unused kernel memory
warning: unable to open an initial console.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This looks very suspicious.

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
> i'm not using ROOTPIVOT so i'm not passing init from lilo, however i get the
same result if i do use ROOTPIVOT
Can you post your kernel .config for kernel you are trying to boot.
CONFIG_VT* are the most interesting parts. Mentioning kernel version may
help too.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-