Re: loop-AES depreciated in linux-2.6 ?

Bradley Jenkins wrote:
> I read that the CryptoAPI has been merged into linux-2.6 kernel, what will
> this mean for LoopAES users?  currently CryptoAPI and loopAES cannot be run
> at the same time due to different kernel settings.  As CryptoAPI is in the
> kernel i imagine a lot of programs will start using it, meaning people will
> have to make a choice between these new cryptographic programs or LoopAES?

Kernel parts of loop-AES do not conflict with morris-cryptoapi or
kerneli.org-cryptoapi. Userspace tools (losetup/mount/swapon) do have a
conflict, and one needs to choose one or the other.

> Or can loopAES learn to work with with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP enabled?  There's
> probably a lot more to it, there always is :)

Loop-AES' CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n requirement is there because loop drivers in
mainline kernels are just too buggy. Kerneli.org folks deal with this by
providing a kernel patch and then letting you deal with patch rejects.
Loop-AES deals with this by requiring you to type "make". Loop-AES' Makefile
builds a better loop driver outside of kernel source tree.

Loop-AES will support 2.6 kernels, and will be faster and less buggy than
anything kerneli.org folks can come up with. Kerneli.org folks have
repeatedly demonstrared that they are willing to sacrifice speed by using
unoptimal api. If morris-cryptoapi evolves to something of equal or higher
quality than what is used in loop-AES internally, then loop-AES will of
course switch to using morris-cryptoapi.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-