Re: rootkit and 10 minutes ?

Hi Earl,

> I have heard that physical possession of a Linux computer allows
> anyone to take over as root, etc.  It seems to me that this is a huge
> security hole.

Suggestion:

Boot from a CD which is secure from being tampered with, and verify a digest
of the system bios before entering the password to allow access to the hard
disk.

The CD can become a sort of physical key, containing info neccesary for the
decryption of the hard disk. Then remove the CD before running any but the
most
trusted code.

A hardware keylogger in the keyboard could still defeat any attempt to find
it by software.

Ultimately you could be fooled by any system, substituted for your original,
which shows the
same interface as yours.

Or possibly biometric protection?

Regards,