linux newbie versus Mandrake

Hi linux-crypto,

I am still using WINdoze, but have been reading alot about Linux.  I
have now downloaded Mandrake 9.0 and am ready to try installing it.

With WIN, I have SCRAMDISK and DRIVECRYPT and feel that my
confidential data is safe no matter what.

If I make the synthetic hard drives 650-700MB, I can not only back
them up to CD-ROM easily, but can even mount the "hard disk" when it
is in any CD-ROM drive in any WIN computer. The driver is a small
executable that fits on any media in any pocket.

I understand that Mandrake 9.0 has crypto out-of-the-box, but what
does that really mean? Is it equivalent to using SCRAMDISK/DRIVECRYPT?
Can confidential data be easily backed up on CDs, while remaining in
encrypted format?

What does FS encryption really mean?  Is just the FAT encrypted,
leaving the data in the clear?

Best regards, Earl

-