"The cipher does not exist"-error, although available in /proc/crypto/cipher/*

Hi,

I am using kernel version 2.4.19. I have applied the
patch-int-2.4.19.1 and the loop-jari-2.4.18.0.patch. I
successfully compiled and installed the patched
kernel.

Next was to patch util-linux-2.11u with
util-linux-2.11r.patch and complile it. It does not
work out as descibed in the crypto-howto, but I
compliled the whole package instead and copied the
three resulting binaries mount, umount and losetup to
the apropriate locations.

When I try to setup a loop device with encryption I
get the following error:

# losetup -e aes /dev/loop0 ~/.crypto
Available keysizes (bits): 128 192 256
Keysize: 128
Password:
The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to
be loaded into the kernel
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
#

The file ~/.crypto was created before as described in
the howto. /proc/crypto/cipher/* proves that the aes
cipher is available:

# ls /proc/crypto/cipher/
aes-cbc  aes-cfb  aes-ctr  aes-ecb  aes-rtc
#

The howto does not have any further advice. I really
thought I could finally start working with this - but
now I do not know what else to do. Can anybody please
help out?

Thomas Müller