Re: loop-aes and util-linux from debian-package

Florian Heiderich wrote:
> If I use loop-aes I have to path just the loop.c and the util-linux
> programms and then I just have to load the patched loop module and can
> setup the EFS. Right?

Loop-AES does not require you to patch your kernel so it works with just
about any stable kernel out there, including distro vendor kernels. However,
before kernel module can be compiled, you have to recompile your kernel.
This is needed so that kernel compile time generated files are present in
the kernel source tree. Compiling modules requires those generated files to
be present.

Util-linux needs to be patched and recompiled but loop-AES' README file has
good instructions for that.

> I tried this with a Debian 3.0r0 stable and I haven't patches util-linux
> but take the debian-packages. This doesn't work. I think the the patches
> in the Debian Package are just for CryptoAPI. Right?

You are better off recompiling loop-AES' util-linux for use with loop-AES.
Debian's util-linux uses old version of CryptoAPI patch.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-