Re: SOLUTION loop-aes crashes with raid5 ?

On Saturday 24 August 2002 17:42, Marcus Roelz wrote:
> I just figured out that my problems disappear when i turn swap on :-O
>
> but i dont know exactly what eats up my 256 MB ram - maybe raid?
> or is it the 2.4.18 kernel?
> top doesnt help me much - it shows no programms that use this much ram

Ok.. I have been doing a little test on this, as i got exactly the same
problem..
As far as i can see its neither a raid problem, nor aes... I use a plain ~30G
partition... And the same thing happens nomatter if its aes/twofish or rc6.

Running mke2fs with swap on causes the system to nearly lockup.. kill -9
mke2fs doesnt help... The process wont die.

It helps if i turn off swap before i run mke2fs..

After this.. It gets tricky..
  - After creating a fs i turned on swap again.
  - mounted the fs.
  - dd if=/dev/zero of=test .... 1GB.. No problem at all.
  - umount the fs.
  - mke2fs one again.. Still with swap on..

The second mke2fs ran as smooth as the first one, no lockups no halts..

running 2.4.19

/Jesper Toft

-